[extropy-chat] RE: Poxy old computers

Emlyn O'regan oregan.emlyn at healthsolve.com.au
Tue Feb 3 00:26:59 UTC 2004

"don't normally need" is the key phrase here. The rest of the Palm
developers out there, please raise your hands. Come on, someone, anyone? ...
:-) And that's the right environment for C... places where there is no other
alternative. Which are few.

> There may always be circumstances where it is essential to
> work close to
> the machine. Today it might be a PDA or cell phone -- 10^8
> phones running
> J2ME is a pretty good market size.

Hmm, I think I'd use Java there, no?

> Tomorrow it might be
> processors inside
> nano-robots analyzing whether the cell they reside in has
> turned cancerous.

If you're hand coding nano-robots in C, we've got bigger issues. Not
slighting your coding skills, it's a scoping thing.

> There are still uses for 4- or 8-bit processors, vacuum
> tubes, anvils,
> leeches, and buggy whips. And sometimes they're the best tool
> for the problem.

You know far too much about my sex life for comfort, now I'm creeped out...

Emlyn