[extropy-chat] the wrong Spike

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 3 06:40:48 UTC 2004

Hmmm...

 amazon tells us about:

The 2030 Spike: Countdown to Global Catastrophe
by Colin Mason

List Price:   $29.95
Edition: Hardcover
Hardcover: 250 pages ;
Publisher: Earthscan Publications, Ltd.; (October 2003)
ISBN: 1844070182
Amazon.com Sales Rank:  890,505

----
Editorial Reviews
Book Description
* The disturbing disclosure of six "drivers" - depleting fuel supplies,
population growth, poverty, climate change, famine and water shortages -
that will converge in a catastrophic "spike" in the decade of 2030
* Reveals how the world is poised to plunge into a new Dark Age - unless we
act now

* Reassuringly presents a prioritized action plan to avoid the coming crisis
and build a bright future

The 2030 decade will see six "drivers" converge with unprecedented force in
a statistical "spike" on the graph paper of life. Depleted fuel supplies,
rampant population growth, poverty, climate change, famine and water
shortages are all on a crash course that could plunge the world into a
global dark age.

Mason cuts through the rhetoric, reams of often conflicting information and
doom saying to illustrate a broad picture of the world as it is and the
courses of action that we need to take now to avoid catastrophe. With over
100 priorities for immediate action to prevent crisis in the future, this
book presents a way forward to a bright and prosperous future for all
people.