[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) The Coming Climate Collapse

Russell Evermore nanowave at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 7 22:04:48 UTC 2004

Ok maybe. But the real question is how best to deal with yet another looming
disaster (or pessimistic round of disasterbation). Two thirds of the way
through the article I started to wonder if any actual SOLUTIONS would be
forthcoming. Thus I was a little surprised when I found that some were
indeed suggested.

. Speed research on the forces that can trigger abrupt climate change, how
it unfolds, and how we'll know it's occurring.

        (Or put another way, wasting shit-loads of money that would be
better spent working toward a rapid assembler breakthrough and near term
weather control, among other direct and positive benefits of nanotechnology)

. Sponsor studies on the scenarios that might play out, including
ecological, social, economic, and political fallout on key food-producing
regions.

        (So we can distract ourselves from the more pressing concerns such
as preparing our response to the swelling memetic push toward a new
pan-Islamic caliphate?)

. Identify "no regrets" strategies to ensure reliable access to food and
water and to ensure our national security.

        (They mean robust biotechnology there, I just know they do.)

. Form teams to prepare responses to possible massive migration, and food
and water shortages.

        (In other words, conserve, conserve, conserve because technology
never really changes anything, except for the worse of course.)

. Explore ways to offset abrupt cooling-today it appears easier to warm than
to cool the climate via human activities, so there may be "geo-engineering"
options available to prevent a catastrophic temperature drop.

    (Yes, by all means explore - nano-gortex, nano-gloves, nano-mittens,
space mirrors, jogging on the spot, cuddling)

Russell Evermore

Heh - check out the cool article that topped when I plunked "nano gortex"
into google http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=375

Doesn't the Internet just boggle your mind every single day!