[extropy-chat] pigeons

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Mon Feb 9 02:08:03 UTC 2004

At 01:30 PM 2/8/2004 -0800, Spike wrote:

>Pigeons were bred for homing well after roads already
>existed in England, so it all makes perfect sense to me.

I don't think the sequence is necessarily relevant. There are many examples
of animals adapting their behavior in response to humans and human
technology, from begging for food to taking up residence in man-made
structures.

The tests would, I suppose, to take homing pigeons to wilderness and see
how they navigate and to look at migratory birds and see if they ever rely
on man-made or natural landmarks.

-- David Lubkin.