[extropy-chat] Segways banned in Disney World

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Feb 9 16:57:50 UTC 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 10:48:09AM -0500, Brian Lee wrote:

> The segway was being used by people who were unable to operate a bike or
> walk properly. Disney wouldn't allow them in because it's not an
> FDA-approved medical device. You tell the guy with MS that he's acting like
> a jerk on his segway.

I wasn't commenting specifically about Disney. I understand the reason
Segways were banned in SF were not all users with MS.

	http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=segway+san+francisco&btnG=Google+Search

> The disney parks have staff members who use a segway, so it's not a
> logistical problem of lack of bike lanes.

I think we can assume that if you'll get paid to use a vehicle
professionally (there's a motivation: your job is on the line),
and get trained properly, and use it in restricted areas
(i.e., not random geeks cruising the sidewalks of San Francisco, which
doesn't compare favourably to an European city equipped with bike lanes and
pedestrians who understand what these marks on the pavement mean, and know
that they'll get hurt, if suddenly stepping onto a bike lane without
looking) you can assume not too much will happen.

> Also, disney aready rents out scooters (for $40+ a day) to people too lazy
> to walk (or disabled) and there have been few incidents of "scooter rage".

Again, I commented on SF banning Segways. Sorry if haven't made that clear.

> The fact that you fail to see a need should not restrict others. Need and

I have no trouble with Segways on sidewalks of my city -- which will
likely mandate helmets for riders, though. I'm not restricing anybody either --
anybody is welcome to his bit of free cranial trauma -- please don't drive
over my toes, though. I really hate that.

> want are different things at times and if someone wants to pay $5k so they
> don't have to walk, let them. If they act like asses then they can be

Again: I have no trouble with seeing Segways in the streets. Or people
growing tree rings of lard; as long as it doesn't result in me paying higher
health insurance, that is.

> banned from the park (just as walkers who act like asses are).

They're probably on drugs; the only way to enjoy Disneyland.