[extropy-chat] Software exposure: was Re: Eugen Leitl, you got Klez

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Feb 10 01:10:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Brian Alexander Lee wrote:

> Bah. I've used outlook express for almost 10 years now with no negative
> consequences (other than not being able to view Eugen's messages).

Brian, I'm sorry -- you might simply be lucky -- but my first Windows
machine infection took place 4-5 years ago -- since that time all of
my windows machines have been "off" the net to the degree I can
do that (all of my windows machines have non-routable IP addresses
but I'm unsure how secure this may still be).

I send several emails a week to web site designers who for whatever
reasons appear to insist on designing for Internet Explorer or using
features (Java, Javascript, etc.) that may not be standard and due
to closed sources may be vulnerable from a security standpoint.

BRIAN -- get this -- just because *YOU* have not have any negative
consequences does not mean you may be inflicting negative consequences
on other net users -- unbeknownst to you!  (This may not be the
case for you -- you may have very good filters between you and
the net or you may simply be lucky,)  But I've heard that the
unprotected infection time for windows machines is down to
something like 5 minutes currently.

Though I am an extropian and dozens on the list would probably
testify to my commitment to long and productive lives (particularly
my own) -- you can pry the mallet from my cold and disfigured hands
from smashing Outlook, I.E. and to a lesser extent windows itself
into small little bits.  It would be a sacrifice but some have to
be made for humanity.  The cost doesn't even come close to the
benefits.  They could have done much much better.  One can only
ask "*what* were they thinking?".

Robert