[extropy-chat] Software exposure: was Re: Eugen Leitl, you got Klez

emlyn on nagero nagero at chariot.net.au
Tue Feb 10 12:24:01 UTC 2004

At 08:37 PM 10/02/2004, you wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 09:17:14PM +0930, emlyn on nagero wrote:
>
> > WordStar? I'd *love* to see you go back to using a 386 with WordStar. Lol!
>
>I'd had no trouble running vim (this message is written via a 128 kBit/s
>uplink, each keystroke going to a Linux box several 100 km away, via ssh on a
>i386 box. It would not be a dramatic deviation (though that box is doing a
>lot of other things as well) from the current status quo.

eeek

> > But Bill's right Eugen, in that these machines (um, I mean Windows OSes)
> > were never designed to be networked like this. It's an unfortunate result
>
>Yeah, they wrote an OS from scratch that couldn't do multitasking, multiuser,
>had no security in mind, nor did have a TCP/IP stack. I.e., they turned the
>clock back 15-20 years at the time of release. If you see any of these
>
>         http://www.thehumorarchives.com/attachment_files/microsoftcorp.jpg
>
>please report these dangerous cyberterrorists to the Office of Homeland
>security.

Multitasking was always a sad omission, although hard on the hardware imo
(although Apple seemed to manage something close). Multiuser... what for?
TCP/IP stack... what for? How could the home user/small business user of
the eighties possibly use this stuff? And at what expense; what would they
sacrifice for it?

> > of history.
>
>It's not a result of history. It's a result of a bunch of idiot developers
>and a lucky accident being taken forward by shrewd, very unscrupulous
>businessmen.

I don't agree. The market for which they were developing didn't want a full
strength OS, it wanted maximum performance for minimum $. The unscrupulous
bit is something I can't argue against :-)

>I.e. I'm missing the technology angle in this whole steaming pile of
>excrement.
>
>-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>

It's almost never about technology.

Emlyn