[extropy-chat] Polly the Opera and Polly the weird promotional exe

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Wed Feb 11 01:12:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, emlyn on nagero wrote:

> Damn, I've failed to establish my own identity. Help me out here, anyone...
[snip]

Ok Emlyn -- to make you happy I've downloaded the program.

But to get me to execute it... (har har har...) Not that I
have any questions about your identity but it would simply
be foolish to execute an "off the net" program.  I have
to deal with my 80 year old father who makes the mistake
of downloading some .exe game file that infects his computer
with a virus.  I have better things to do with my time.

Its an ~1.2 MB file (rather large).  I would have to disassemble
it and go through the code extensively before it would make any
sense to execute it.

Now, one deals with the identity problem -- you are correct
that no amount of googling will help.  This is the extropians
list -- we *know* you can be replicated (or at least those
of us who really understand nanotech do).  We also know that
your replicated twin might be a warped and evil person by design.

We have spent at least 9 years discussing how advanced species
might develop and there is no reason believe that you are
not a representive of such a species and are here on Earth with
motives that are different from our own.  I'm obviously going
a bit over the edge and getting kind of X-file-ish here but
I think you would agree the points are valid (if you are indeed
Emlyn...).

Robert