[extropy-chat] DVD recommendations?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Feb 11 11:44:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 05:46:37PM -0800, Johnius wrote:

>   I just bought my first DVD player (plays all world regions),

A lot is going on in entertainment. We're finally seeing enough performance
in cheap hardware and codecs good enough (and diverse and buggy enough to
produce different effects on different hardware, and produce enough
incompatibilities and crashes to further degrade the user experience) to
achieve sufficient compression to put a complete DVD movie on
a CDR blank with no visible quality degradation, or put a HDTV video source (this
means that the DVD will soon join VHS and Betamax, grazing on greener
pastures). BluRay and similiar formats are about to be released, no doubt
encrusted with DRM. Players now routinely come with Fast Ethernet
connections, VGA/DVI outputs, and hard drives.

On the whole, the usability window between bleeding edge and legacy is
getting shorter, some of the better-selling assets are remastered in the new
formats to be resold several times.

The trend goes towards richer content, hardware with more crunch, format
incompatibilities and security issues -- business as usual, in other words.

On the long run we'll see fully immersive (both scripted and interactive)
recordings.

> and now am building a wishlist of the best DVDs in the world.
> I figured you all might have some excellent recommendations :-)

There's a lot of stuff out there, so I'll stick with anime.
I would take anything from Hayao Miyazaki (and some stuff from Studio Ghibli
in general), from Tonari no totoro to Sen to Chihiru no kamikakushi (there's
a new one coming, probably his last):

	http://nausicaa.net/miyazaki/features/

Of the classics, I wouldn't miss Ghost in the Shell, Wings of Honneamise,
Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust, Blood the last vampire, Serial Experiments Lain; of the newer stuff Animatrix and
Jin-Roh (The Wolf Brigade), Cowboy Bebop (haven't seen latter yet). There are a few more, but I can't
remember their names right now.

Ah, I've finally found the server:
A Beautiful Mind, Akira Kurosawa (Dreams, Ran, other stuff), Chocolat, Disney's Jungle
Book, Meet Joe Black, Tarkovski's Stalker (also Solaris), Shrek, Ice Age,
Solaris (the Clooney one), The Addams Family, Addams Family Values, One Hour
Photo, From Hell, Donnie Darko, Dark City, Dellamore Dellamorte, Equilibrium,
Harry Potter (all of them), LOTR, Monster's Inc, Powder, Sleepy Hollow,
The Iron Giant, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable,
Thirteenth Floor, Matrix I/II, The 13th Warrior, Good Will Hunting, Amelie.

I'm missing several, but this is just the stuff I've got.