[extropy-chat] Religion: A discussion

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Thu Feb 12 00:51:54 UTC 2004

 (2/12/04 10:11) Daniel Matthews <dan at 3-e.net> wrote:

>Even the Christian Church/s knows this, that is why so many of it's rituals
>are deliberate overlays on older pagan rituals.

I think that's confusing cause and effect. The history of the early church is pretty clear about the "why"  - they were attempting, rather successfully, to subsume contemporary religions. The effect was as you said, though.

>Isn't revolution destructive and entropic, whereas evolution is creative and
>extropic?

Except when its not. :)  Evolution does have dead ends, and sometime you need a little bit of "creative destruction" to get things back on track. Since we're being Xtian-obsessive today, I'll point to Martin Luther as an example of that.

The American Revolution was one too.

>Where are the meme engineers when you need them...
>Even a bad human behavior is "fit" if it propagates and is stable, you can't
>just rip it out of society without replacing it with a functionally
>equivalent meme that is more to your philosophical liking.

Can't? or shouldn't?

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein