[extropy-chat] Re: SPACE: where are we?

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Thu Feb 12 01:27:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Robert J. Bradbury wrote:

> So there is no way in hell that you are going to convince me that
> "only NASA seems to have the hardware" is an argument that is
> going to cut the cake.

In the case of a space probe, it's not about the CPU,
but it's about the _peripheral_ hardware. OK, so maybe
an open source developer would have found out about
the problem with the flash filling up, but none of us
would have been able to debug problems with eg. the
navigation software, or the "aim antenna and communicate
back to earth" software.

90% of the software isn't the OS and isn't related to the
CPU. That is my point.

Rik