[extropy-chat] GWOT: Out of focus

Major extropy at audry2.com
Thu Feb 12 21:26:07 UTC 2004

Russell Evermore <nanowave at shaw.ca> quotes Ray Pierce:

> A religion is an ideology coupled with a metaphysical belief,

Actually only the metaphysical belief is strictly necessary for
something to be a religion.

> The world's five major religions all have aspects of tolerance.

The Muslims given the choice to convert or die during the crusades
might have something to say about that, but I'll let it pass.

> Can an ideology that is xenophobic to all that are different be
> considered a religion?

Sure, if God says so.

> Can Wahhabism, which seeks either the conversion or death of all other
> Muslim sects, plus all Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists,
> secularists and pagans, be considered acceptable in our modern and
> pluralistic world?

Wahhabism is acceptable. We may not agree with it, but there is no
belief which is not acceptable in a pluralistic world.

The *actions* of Wahhabites may or may not acceptable. If they stand
on a mountain and tell us we should convert or commit suicide then
they are doomed to fail but perfectly acceptable. If they start
blowing up buildings that is unacceptable.

> How can a country which does not allow Christian worship or even
> Christian burial on its scared soil be our ally? A greater incongruity
> occurs when we learn about Saudi funding of terrorism.

And here is the author's not too hidden agenda. America is a
"Christian country". Anyone who does not allow Christian worship is
the enemy...

> The correct and honest course is to declare war on all Wahhabite
> states and peoples.

...and should be blown up. OK, not hidden at all.

Major