[extropy-chat] on track to the Singularity, ho hum...

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Feb 12 21:16:10 UTC 2004

< Experts said the Intel researchers appear to have achieved one of the
rare performance increases known in the industry as "powers of 10,'' or
exponential change, that has the potential to remake the modern computing
world.

"There is a big difference between 10 megabits and one gigabit,'' Terabit's
Dr. Huang said, noting that the advance should ultimately make it possible
to create computers that "will be everywhere that you are.''

"People have been trying for this forever,'' he added. "You wouldn't
believe how many articles I've read saying we might do this some day.''>

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/12/technology/12chip.html?th=&pagewanted=print&position=