[extropy-chat] BIO: overtorqing the luddites

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 01:41:34 UTC 2004

--- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> It occurs to me (because I'm in a strange mood this
> afternoon having watched a 12 car pile-up with one
> car managing a triple flip in the Daytona 500 -- *What*
> are these people thinking driving around at 180 MPH???
> Lord is there material for whatever late night show
> does "stupid human tricks"...  There are days when I
> just want to throw in the towel with respect to humanity.)

What? You think things are going to get MORE safe as we live longer?
Despite the suppositions of writers like Heinlein and Asimov, it
appears that people will elect higher risk activities as life
expectancy rises (just reported to be up to 77+ years in the US).

> Allright, rant aside, it looks as if by combining things
> like human cloning capabilities (coming out of Korea) and
> long term embryo preservation (coming out of Israel) that
> one would now be able to produce embryos, harvest stem
> cells, turn them into offspring, freeze the remaining
> portions of those embryos and then allow them to mature
> at some later date.  The net result being that the children
> are much older than the parents.
>
> Now that capability is *really* going to upset (overtorque)
> a number of people once they figure it out.

Nah, I'm not too worried. The protests will really start happening when
we reinstitute real gladiator games and start throwing the christians
to the lions.... ;)

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark