[extropy-chat] SPAM: more news

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Mon Feb 16 16:36:19 UTC 2004

Well, interestlingly, it seems the SPAMers and machine hijackers
are getting increasingly more sophisticated (we have discussed
this before).

Here is a detailed analysis that documents 6 or more different
attempts to break into your machines from simply reading an
e-greeting card...
   http://www.tjhsst.edu/~agupta/ecard-hijack/

The details are very technical (but may interest the technical
people on the list).  Bottom line is in the Conclusion at the
end of the message:

"If you're still using Outlook and Internet Explorer, this is a good time
to find alternatives (I suggest FireFox and Thunderbird). Crackers and
spammers are getting more and more sophisticated, and are finding ways to
fool even experienced and skilled computer users."

Robert