[extropy-chat] gay marriage

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 21:13:46 UTC 2004

>  (2/15/04 17:41) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >...The protests will really start happening when
> >we reinstitute real gladiator games and start throwing the christians
> >to the lions...

Speaking of protests, I am nearly ready to carry a
sign myself, something I have never done.  Yesterday
in San Francisco the mayor ordered that marriage licenses
be issued to gay couples.  As one might expect there was
a gathering of protestors, but as I saw them on
the news yesterday I found two things very disturbing.
First, they weren't protesting homosexual *marriage*
so much as they were protesting *homosexuality*.  Secondly,
most of the protestors appeared middle eastern, with the
head scarves and turbans.  I am tempted to take
up a sign telling them... well, what exactly?  The gay
marriage issue really isn't my battle, but as soon as
Muslim transplants start protesting *my* rights, that gets
my full and undivided.  If we start having significant
Muslim influence on our legal system in this country,
many of our rights and lifestyle freedoms could disappear.

This is one that the left wing doesn't handle effectively,
for it carries the notion that all cultures are valid,
and clearly homosexuality offends Muslim culture.  The
right wing isn't much help since it is so rabidly opposed to
gay marriage, they fail to see the threat from having
Muslim influence on American policy.  I guess it is up to
the libertarians to fight this one, eh?  Thoughts?