[extropy-chat] gay marriage

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Mon Feb 16 21:37:39 UTC 2004

 (2/16/04 13:13) Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Secondly,
>most of the protestors appeared middle eastern, with the
>head scarves and turbans.  I am tempted to take
>up a sign telling them... well, what exactly?

While I am and have been a vociferous advocate for giving gay couples (as well as extended family arrangements) the same legal rights as the "straight male, straight female" couples*, I will point out that a turban does not a Muslim make. :) Sikh males are religiously obligated to wear turbans (as well as carry a ceremonial dagger called a kirpan. The kirpan has caused quite a "religious freedom" issue recently in Canada, btw.)

 * Actually, I'm a proponent of deleting the entire concept of marriage from the law books and letting it handled under corporate and contract law, but that's a rant for another time.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein