[extropy-chat] gay marriage

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Feb 17 18:06:35 UTC 2004

 (2/17/04 11:48) Kevin Freels <kevinfreels at hotmail.com> wrote:

>That meme has been around a long time. It was shortly after Darwin's
>"Origin" when the church started espousing all these ways that humans were
>different than animals. The idea was to emphasize how unique we humans are,
>therefore reinforcing the "creation" myth. Many other religions followed
>suit.

The whole "animal kingdom" set of arguments in the homosexuality debate are a constant source of frustration and amusement to me.  The anti-gay religious camp will blithely argue that homosexuality is wrong because heterosexuality is "natural."  (despite, of course, ample evidence of homosexuality in the animal kingdom)  Then, they'll turn around and get angry because evolution implies that man is essentially an animal, descended from apes. "Not so," they cry, "We were created by God!"

Add that on top of the fact that the ethics of civil rights are a sociocultural construct, and have fsck-all to do with the "natural realm," and eventually the whole thing looks like an evil Monty Python sketch, acted out by people on crack.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein