[extropy-chat] Aliens Cause Global Warming

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Feb 20 20:23:52 UTC 2004

--- "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Aliens Cause Global Warming
>
> A lecture by Michael Crichton
> Caltech Michelin Lecture
> January 17, 2003
>
>       My topic today sounds humorous but
> unfortunately I am serious. I am
> going to argue that extraterrestrials lie behind
> global warming. Or to speak
> more precisely, I will argue that a belief in
> extraterrestrials has paved
> the way, in a progression of steps, to a belief in
> global warming. Charting
> this progression of belief will be my task today.

And this is a classic example of how not to
communicate scientific topics.  Many of those who
might agree with the point will tune out before the
end of the first paragraph; many of those remaining
will be vociferously opposed to the point.  (Granted,
they may be the very people you're trying to convince
to change their ways.  But it won't get that much
support.)