[extropy-chat] AGING: real progress

Joao Magalhaes jpnitya at sapo.pt
Sun Feb 22 03:15:18 UTC 2004

Hi!

I don't want to be the skeptic around here but I should remind you that
there is NO evidence SIRT1 is in anyway involved in human aging. Yes, in
yeast sir2 is involved in cell cycle regulation--which is not the same as
aging. Maybe sir2 is involved in aging of C. elegans but results from
Drosophila and mice do not suggest any involvement of SIRT1 in aging. Since
drosophila and mice are biologically closer to humans than c. elegans and
yeast, I'm skeptical that SIRT1 plays a role in human aging.

As for the Forkhead family, these transcription factors are very much
involved in development, so it is normal that they affect redox potential
and apoptosis. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved
in mammalian aging since p66 has been associated with the forkhead family.
Yet the connection to human aging is not clear because of cancer. After
all, yeast, drosophila and c. elegans don't have cancer and mice have much
higher cancer incidences. So we must be very careful in extrapolating this
sort of data into humans.

-- End of skeptical message --

Joao