[extropy-chat] Alice's Dilemma

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Sat Feb 21 20:35:31 UTC 2004

Joao Magalhaes wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> Those of you interested in the Singularity and technological progress
> may want to read my latest article, "Alice's Dilemma", which was
> recently published by the journal Futures. It is a general introduction
> to the Singularity, its dangers and opportunities. It's freely available
> online at:
>
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=MImg&_imagekey=B6V65-49272TM-1-1&_cdi=5805&_orig=browse&_coverDate=02%2F29%2F2004&_sk=999639998&view=c&wchp=dGLbVtb-zSkWz&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_userid=10&md5=6bfb336c5355e5bfc8ea1d3d1fc40b30&ie=f.pdf

Sorry, but I don't think this is a good article. Introductions to such
big topics are interesting, because the author has to go to the basics
and provide his own perspective. But I found no original nor personal
element here, nor even a particularly rigorous thinking.

Two minor flaws (there can't be major flaws as nothing new is
presented): First the title: what you describe is not a dilemma at all.
Second, you quote Kaczynski as defending the position that technology
can be controlled or prohibited. He actually defends, at great length,
the exact contradictory position: that it cannot be controlled nor
prohibited. (Hence his particular agenda, which is destruction.) He
would laugh at Bill Joy's call to relinquishment.

Jacques