[extropy-chat] SPACE: Yet more about KBO 2004 DW

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 04:25:50 UTC 2004

--- "Joseph S. Barrera III" <joe at barrera.org> wrote:
> Here's a very nice article, including this tidbit: "We've traced 2004
> DW back to November 23, 1954, when it was photographed as part of the
> first
> Palomar Sky Survey" and also a bit about getting a better estimate of
> its size in the next couple of weeks via the IRAM telescope in Spain.

While my opinion likely doesn't mean anything to the astronomers, I
find it highly pretentious to be giving the names of mythic gods to
balls of ice (it's bad enough some jovian ice moons got such
treatment). Qaoar is a bit much. I would propose that in keeping with
Pluto, that KBO's should be named after dogs.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey