[extropy-chat] Alice's Dilemma

Joao Magalhaes jpnitya at sapo.pt
Sun Feb 22 22:54:11 UTC 2004

Hi!

As BillK said, this paper is not aimed at extropians but rather is an
introductionary view of the Singularity. As for the flaws mentioned by
Jacques, I disagree. A dilemma is: "a state of uncertainty or perplexity
especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options". The
Singularity is uncertain and perplexing. From a non-extropian perspective,
these are frightening ideas and so even though one possibility is clearly
favourable, it does not mean that will be the chosen one by the human
species. As for the Unabomber, he defends a change in society to eliminate
technology, which I see as another form of relinquishment. His methods and
ultimate goal may be more radical than Bill Joy's but they share the same
philosophy of abandoning technology.

All the best,

Joao

Joao Magalhaes (joao.magalhaes at fundp.ac.be)