[extropy-chat] The problems with Alcor and the new proposed Arizona law

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sun Feb 22 16:15:22 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> I would suggest that you folks should consider an exit strategy as an
> "if" alternative. For example, I invite you to move to New Hampshire,
> the Free State. I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't face
> such regulatory hurdles here.

Mike has a very good point.  I was in the running for the President's
job at Alcor last November and several of the things that I posted
to the job review committee as things that needed to be done at
Alcor included a backup plan for working with other cryonics
organizations (to provide safe holding for suspendees), dealing
with natural disaster and transport issues, etc.  I would now
add legal restraints/constraints to that list.

It seems clear that any cryonics organization without viable
both national and international "Plan B's" should be open
to serious criticism.

As much as I respect the "free spirit" of states in New England,
I also trust that one can have backlashes.  So for cryonics to
ultimately be workable it has to look at legal entities where
the specification of the disposal of ones body or trusts which
hold ones body, etc. are not likely to be violated.

Robert