[extropy-chat] SPACE: new planet?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 18:42:53 UTC 2004

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:20:47PM -0500, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
>
> > we earlier imagined.  This has made me more confident of future
> > interstellar expansion than ever before.  These Pluto-type
> > worlds are the interstellar worlds of the future. They far
> > outnumber the classical planets by hundreds
> > of thousands to one.
>
> I see Kuiper belt as one big salad bar. Fusables, crunchy carbon.

Reminds me of Niven's "Outsiders" aliens, who lived entirely outside
solar systems, in interstellar space. We are going to have to engineer
ourselves to operate at much lower temperatures and with slower
metabolisms, come up with cryonic range biochemistries, etc.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey