[extropy-chat] Alleged Climate Collapse

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 22 22:14:03 UTC 2004

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/print/0,15935,582584,00.html

>I know there are contrarians on this list regarding this topic.  If you
have
>thoughts from "counterpoint" side, please post...Olga

Olga, I read over these predictions and considered them
too silly to respond.  The weather on this big old planet
simply does not change quickly, nothing does.  I find the
evidence lacking.  Even if it did somehow change quickly,
we can transport food quickly to anywhere on the planet.
We have *plenty* of arable land around the globe that is
not being used.  Humanity *can* deal with a shutdown of
the North Atlantic conveyor.

And even so, I fail to see why that would be the Pentagon's
nightmare.  The navy's ships can handle a bit of bad weather,
and the planes can be moved out of the path of hurricanes.

The only realistic scenario offered is an invasion from
Mexico and South America, but this has been going on since
forever.  It isn't such a destabilizing thing, in fact it
has its tangeable benefits.