[extropy-chat] Alleged Climate Collapse

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 23 01:45:42 UTC 2004

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> The Pentagon's Weather Nightmare
> The climate could change radically, and fast. That would be the
> mother of all national security issues:
>
> http://www.fortune.com/fortune/print/0,15935,582584,00.html
>
> I know there are contrarians on this list regarding this topic.  If
> you have thoughts from "counterpoint" side, please post.  I assume
> here are some overlooked issues in this Fortune magazine article,
> and I would be curious to learn more about them.

I've already critqued this Pentagon study as fraught with leaps of
illogic, namely:
a) the claimed warming is happening in the arctic, not at the equator,
thus the temp differential, which causes storms, is lessening, leading
to LESS severe storms, not more severe storms. This is born out by the
fact that the first half of the 20th century saw twice as many
severe/major hurricanes as the last half did.
b) the claim is that the north atlantic conveyor will shut down
completely, leading to an Ice Age in northern europe. The conveyor is
shut down because the arctic is TOO warm. When it cools again, the
conveyor will start back up. This is a cycle known as the North
Atlantic Occillation, which is well known to REAL geologists and
climatologists who are involved in holocene studies. There will be no
Ice Age.
c) it is european reliance on diesel based transportation that is the
primary cause of arctic warming, as the particulates from the diesel is
what is causing arctic warming. NOTE: Europe does diesel because that
is what the Greens tell it to... note the irony...
d) the ice caps are secure (you have seen my prior posts on this
topic). I will note that the pentagon study contradicts itself,
claiming that there will be an Ice Age in the northern hemisphere AT
THE SAME TIME that the ice caps collapse.... riddle me that...

Whoever wrote this study is an ignorant hack.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey