[extropy-chat] Greens launch Europe-wide party

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Mon Feb 23 07:36:05 UTC 2004

>From ABC News Online: Thirty-two Green parties from throughout Europe have
now officially joined forces to found the European Green Party. The first
ever Europe-wide political force will run a common campaign at elections for
the EU Parliament in June. The creation of the party at a congress in Rome
is the result of long mediation and efforts to find common ground, while
recognising the national identities of the participating parties.
>From Reuters AlertNet: I have no shame in saying that today we're making
history -- we're the first party to have a European structure," Daniel
Cohn-Bendit, co-president of the Greens in the European Parliament, told the
launch conference on Saturday.
Though I support many Green ideas, I am definitely no Green: they tend to be
against globalization and widespread adoption of advanced technologies, in
particulat biotechnologies. But I support the creation of transnational
political parties and hope European Greens will contribute to promoting a
transnational vision of Europe today, and the world tomorrow.
---