[extropy-chat] Alert for Suspicious Farmers' Almanacs

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 1 01:41:09 UTC 2004

--- Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:
> Not one of us
> is safe by the hands, stated intentions, written
> policies and practices of our own government.

Well..._maybe_ by the stated intentions, if those were
what actually got put into practice.  A large part of
the problem is that the new powers get abused in ways
not anticipated by the statements, but easily forseen
by students of history.  Whether or not the speakers
of said statements also forsee the abuses is not
provable; it is easy to imagine that they do, but it
seems more often the case that they don't, and turn a
deaf ear to any naysayers.  (In some cases, they so
vigorously tune out dissent that people think they're
doing it to justify the abuses.  I'm not exactly sure
what their real reason is - mere pride and arrogance
seem insufficient - but in my experience, deliberate
covering up is usually not it.)