[extropy-chat] How The Schmirk Stole Nanotechnology

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 05:14:13 UTC 2004

Robert Bradbury wrote on slashdot:

Now we know nanotech is going to be disruptive and if one carefully
reviews the NBA supporters they include some very old companies (e.g.
GE, Catepillar, Lockheed) so one has to wonder whether they are involved
to promote nanotech development or delay it (so as to protect their
current markets)...

I can answer that one: promote it, bigtime.  They will
promote nanotech to *enhance* current markets.  Note that
the nanotech that is being developed at Lockheeed, et.al.
is not true bottom-up Drexlerian nanotech, but rather
the next technical steps in miniaturization, top-down.
They all want to know how we keep going down after
photolithography gives out, which appears to be soon,
perhaps in the next 10-15 years.

Very old companies don't get to be very old companies
unless they continually embrace and develop the latest
and most promising new technologies.