[extropy-chat] martian measurement units

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 18:54:54 UTC 2004

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> GIANT AIRBAGS WILL GIVE ROVERS' LANDINGS A BOUNCE
> If all goes well, Mars rover "Spirit" will slam into the atmosphere
> of the Red Planet on Saturday night, at an angle of 11.5 degrees, an
> altitude of about 80 miles and a velocity of 12,000 mph. Eight
> seconds before touchdown, giant airbags will suddenly inflate,
> encapsulating the spacecraft in a protective cocoon.
>
>   http://spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/031231landing.html
>
> Miles.  Miles per hour.  {8-[
>
> Seems we yanks have failed to learn our lesson
> from the bitter experience of 23 September 1999.

Well, what we really need is a Martian system of measurement, just to
make things interesting... I believe Edgar Rice Burroughs developed one
for his John Carter series. I hereby propose that in all future list
discussions, that ERB specced Martian units of measure be used...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey