[extropy-chat] fermi's paradox: m/d approach

Thu Jan 1 21:55:27 UTC 2004

Spike wrote,
> As a result of our discussion of Sbrains last week, I have
> stumbled upon another explanation for the cosmic silence: we
> aren't worth the mass to send us signals.  I will call this
> argument the M/D approach to Fermi's paradox.  It works like this:

This is a very strong possibility.  We are not advanced enough yet to be
interesting.

Although I have always assumed that we just haven't discovered the galactic
internet yet.  Our sub-light speed communications are too slow and weak.
Anybody actually communicating over interstellar distances would be using
faster-than-light speeds if possible, so we don't know how to read their
signals yet.  Another point is that they wouldn't be broadcasting in the
clear or promiscuously to everybody.  They probably are using point-to-point
communications that only go to the intended recipient.

In terms of radio-waves, we are the spammers of the galaxy.  We are sending
our stuff everywhere to everyone constantly, whether they want it or not.
They probably hate us.  They probably have tried to reply, but virtually
none of out broadcasters can receive return signals.  We may be on
everybody's spam-blocker list already.  We may need to move to a new planet
and start communicating under a new species name before anybody will answer
us.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,