[extropy-chat] Simulation Argument critique (was fermi's paradox: m/d approach)

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Fri Jan 2 18:27:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> The size/duration/complexity of all real universes is larger than the
> size/duration/complexity of all their simulations put together. [snip]

I'm not sure how you justify this Harvey.  It would seem to assume
that the universes in which the sims are run are playing by the same
laws of physics as our universe.  I don't see how that has to hold.
For example -- if we develop femtotech (sub-atomic engineering)
or photon-tech (massless engineering) I could see us setting up
significant simulations of universes limited to nanotech.  Since
we have no clue as to what technology is being used to host
a simulation of our universe (if such is the case) I don't
see how you can argue limits based on "all real universes".
The sims could be running a variety of what we consider to
be "real universes" based on various physical laws, after
that they will run another set of sims, and so on and so
forth.  There may be no beginning, no end, no heat death
and a completly different set of rules in whatever (one
hesitates to call it a universe) is hosting the sims
(again -- if that is the case).

Robert