[extropy-chat] the most modern conception of wizard as transhumanist

Reason reason at exratio.com
Sun Jan 4 03:32:15 UTC 2004

Those of you who delight in items of esoteric cultural interest might like
this one. I was reading a very engaging campaign log from a game of Dungeons
and Dragons (D&D):

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58227&page=1&pp=25

It's long, and makes we wonder why I can no longer find smart people to game
with who are interested in character, story, conversation and whatnot over
the roll of dice. Full of nice, witty stuff relating to the role of religion
and faith, nature of power, character driven conflict, etc, etc, and has a
strong underpinning of transhumanist ideals in regards to the motivations
and actions of its mages.

I can't say I've given a lot of thought to transhumanism vis a vis the very
modern concept of the fantasy mage that has become widespread in the last
half decade or so, but it fits very nicely within the rarified limits of D&D
canon. In a way, it's very amusing that the pulp culture fantasy mage is now
a concept completely informed and based upon D&D, itself initially lifted
from Vance (who may yet be able to lay claim to being more influential than
Tolkien); the most widespread pulp fantasy novels (like Eddings) started the
avalanche, and the rocks are now mostly composed of computer "role-playing"
(in quotes for a reason) games that individually outsell all of Eddings
works. The occasional movie too. The tropes and cliches for the modern
fantasy mage concept are set in stone, but very open to reinterpretation.

(Personally, I think it's a bit of a loss when compared with, say, The King
of Elfland's Daughter, or even Greg Stafford's Glorantha, but what do I
know? I'm outvoted by readers of pulp. In a way, I suppose it's encouraging
that human nature is to take the mystical and apply rules to it, come hell
or high water. You end up with modern theology, corrupt legal systems and
other horrors, but you also get science, come hell or high water).

So we have the fantasy mage as transhumanist: recursive intelligence
enhancement, transcending natural limits, life goals akin to vastening,
creation of intelligent servants, power and responsibility, etc, etc. All
quite interesting.

Reason
http://www.exratio.com