[extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sun Jan 4 18:31:50 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Walker" <mark at permanentend.org>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2004 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality

> I'm not sure what to make of this. I don't see that Kass is saying that
his
> worldview is privileged in any untoward way. He offers arguments for the
> ethical conclusions that he makes--if this is what you mean by a
privileged
> world view then I am equally guilty. Furthermore, as far as I can tell
Kass
> doesn't say that we should ration the lives of others, what he argues is
> that it is morally impermissible to seek physical immortality. These
claims
> are distinct--as I point out in the paper.

I think the whole idea of immortality should be downplayed as far as public
consumption is concerned.
The emphasis should be on Kass and co. preventing the development of medical
technologies that could help tens of millions of ageing citizens.
Maybe even to the point of propaganda - 'Kass aims to block cancer cure!'

Dirk

The Consensus:-
The political party for the new millennium
http://www.theconsensus.org