[extropy-chat] Essay on Physical Immortality

Sun Jan 4 21:08:18 UTC 2004

Robert J. Bradbury wrote,
> It was only the use of the term "immortality" that I got
> stuck on. We really need to come up with a better word --
> making one up if necessary -- to get to the point where the
> word means exactly what we want it to mean -- nothing more
> and nothing less.

Actually, I like using normal terms like "life-saving".  The technology we
want is simply "life-saving".  It doesn't matter if the people we want to
save are old or have already lived a long enough life by someone else's
standards.  They still don't want to die and want to be saved.  The same
technology can save a child with premature aging as well as an old person
with natural aging.  We don't need different and special terms.  I think it
is simpler to keep the terms similar.

I don't think we need any special technologies to reach indefinite
immortality.  I think the same technologies that cure aging diseases will
postpone aging death.  We keep curing our current ailments within our
lifetimes, and we push away death further and further.   I think we can drop
the idea of immortality altogether (in these arguments) and just push for
better healthcare.  Cure wrinkle-lines on my face.  Cure DNA damage as I get
older.  Cure Alzheimer's and brain malfunctions.  Cure cancer.  Simply work
toward curing diseases, including age-related diseases, and we will keep
stalling death.  We don't need to focus just on curing diseases for people
who have reached a ripe old age.  These cures work for everyone of all ages.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,