[extropy-chat] DNA ?= Destiny

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 8 20:14:18 UTC 2004

--- John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:
> The IQ of identical twins raised separately is much
> more similar than the IQ
> of fraternal twins raised separately, the variation
> is almost the same as
> twins who stayed with their biological parents. In
> both cases the
> correlation between the intelligence of the adoptive
> parents and the
> children they care for is lousy, the correlation
> with the biological parents
> is much better.
>
> This would seem to work against your theory.

What of the arguments that genetic and environmental
influences tend to be correlated?  I.e., that the
same types of experiences tend to happen to the same
gene sets?  Although, I suppose that would defeat the
theory in most cases too: if what happens to you tends
to be destined, then how you're born is how you're
born...unless, of course, you take action to change
that, which almost no one does.