[extropy-chat] TEMPEST: You thought your tinfoil hat was enough?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 01:16:42 UTC 2004

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=16&u=/ap/20040108/ap_on_fe_st/foiled_room_4

OLYMPIA, Wash. - What kind of friends coat your apartment — and nearly
everything in it — with tinfoil while you're away? Here's a hint: One
of the only objects that escaped the shiny treatment was a book titled
"Cruel Tricks for Dear Friends."

Chris Kirk found his downtown Olympia apartment encased in aluminum
foil when he returned home Monday night from a trip to Los Angeles.

The walls, ceiling, cabinets and everything in between shimmered, after
the prank orchestrated by Kirk's longtime friend, Luke Trerice, 26, who
was staying in the apartment while Kirk was away.

"He's known for large-scale strangeness," Kirk, 33, told The Olympian.
"He warned me that he would be able to touch my stuff, but it didn't
sound so bad."

Trerice, who lives in Las Vegas, and a small group of friends draped
the apartment with about 4,000 square feet of aluminum foil, which cost
about $100.

Not surprisingly, the idea was hatched on New Year's Eve.

"It was just a spur of the moment thing," Trerice said. "I really don't
even consider it art. I consider it a psychology project. ... He seems
to be upbeat, so I consider this a success. "

No detail was too small or too time-consuming. The toilet paper was
unrolled, wrapped in foil, then rolled back up again. The friends
covered Kirk's book and compact disc collections but made sure each CD
case could open and shut normally. They even used foil on each coin in
Kirk's spare change.

And to sweeten the theme, they left silver Hershey's kisses sprinkled
throughout the apartment.

"The toilet was hard. The molding around the doorways took a very long
time," Trerice said.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark