[extropy-chat] Moon news

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Fri Jan 9 23:49:37 UTC 2004

I wrote:

 > No one quotes Zubrin or other prominent figures from the Mars Society, or
 > even mentions that if you want to go to Mars, the answer might just be --
 > go to Mars.

to which Damien retorted:

>No one mentions that if you want to stay on Mars rather than going briefly
>and coming back, the answer might just be -- stay on Earth. For the next
>decade or so (as is planned anyway). Put all that loot into nanotechnology
>and other bootstraps. Then build a skyhook or a diamonoid launch platform or
>something equally radical. Meanwhile, send probes if you really must.

They could say that, too, but Zubrin recently testified before the Commerce
Committee of the US Senate. It would be reasonable to expect a minimally
competent reporter who covers space to be aware of this and get a reaction
quote. It's curious that none did, at least none that Google News is aware of.

Thinking of nanotech, though, is far beyond any competency I'd expect from
journalism.

Anyway. The Case for Mars plan is cheap, pay-for-results, and builds a
permanent complex on Mars. It is not "going briefly and coming back."

But, if I were in the position of allocating investment dollars, I'd put my
space effort into bringing back a nickel-iron asteroid. Set up shop for
mining, manufacturing, and space construction somewhere convenient, like
geosynch, L-4, or L-5. Bova et al outlined a reasonable scenario for doing
this nearly off-the-shelf twenty years ago. I keep expecting to hear that
Paul Allen has funded it.

Hundreds of millions of tons of metal and organics in a useful Up location
is a major bootstrap for anything else you want to do in space, and I think
would have a lot of synergy with nanotech.

-- David Lubkin.