[extropy-chat] The omniscience of God and the free will

rick aperick at centurytel.net
Tue Jan 13 02:21:41 UTC 2004

JDP jacques at dtext.com wrote:

>Freedom is the ability of doing what one wants. If I know what you
want,
>I can sometimes predict what you will do; it doesn't make you any less
>free.

The absence of free will which would result in a purely deterministic
universe would cause you to always want to do what the clockwork of your
constituent particles could dictate. This is based on the idea that all
the particles have definite masses and trajectories which always
interact as classical Newtonian Kinematics would dictate. Or; that even
given certain quantum mechanical strangeness-es -- or what have we --
all particles are still destined to only go where they were headed.

Am I wrong, anyone?