[extropy-chat] late response to Dan/Technotranscendence

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Jan 13 05:18:44 UTC 2004

At 07:29 PM 1/12/2004 -0800, rick wrote:

>if the founding fathers of the USA could have seen into the future ...
>well, things just may have been a little different. Am I to be called a
>bigot for saying that only the sighted should be given the responsibility
>of leading the blind?

The Founding Fathers, indeed, *did* want the right to vote limited to an
elite, and arguably chose criteria that would select for intelligence,
competence, and concern for the future. It's subsequent that the right to
vote was expanded as broadly as possible.

Meanwhile, half of eligible voters don't currently vote. Has anyone seen a
good multidimensional comparison of voters and non-voters? I would predict,
for instance, that the median IQ of non-voters is substantially lower than
that of voters.
It could well be that the people who don't vote are people one really
wouldn't want voting anyway....

-- David Lubkin.