[extropy-chat] late response to Dan/Technotranscendence

Paul Grant paulgrant999 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 17:45:09 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Harvey
Newstrom
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 6:49 AM
To: 'ExI chat list'
Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] late response to Dan/Technotranscendence

David Lubkin wrote,
> The Founding Fathers, indeed, *did* want the right to vote
> limited to an elite, and arguably chose criteria that would
> select for intelligence, competence, and concern for the future.
> It's subsequent that the right to vote was expanded as broadly
> as possible.

The founding father's criteria for voting:
- Males could vote, females couldn't
- Whites could vote, blacks and natives couldn't
- Land or estate owners could vote, their tenets, employees and poor
people could not

I don't see that rich white males select for intelligence or competence
very well.  I am glad the right to vote was expanded as broadly as
possible.

---

=> actually I'm just sad that its STILL a 2-party system.
But I agree with you, everyone should fundamentally have the right to
vote.
Its also a shame that at most, 14% of them choose to exercise that
right.

omard-out