[extropy-chat] John C Wright comments on IP

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Wed Jan 14 19:57:26 UTC 2004

Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
I am forwarding an exchange I had with John C Wright, regarding the IP laws
in the Golden Oecumene:

John C Wright wrote:
It is supposed to be a Golden Age after all, the society mankind will enjoy
if ever man becomes sane and mature: no doubt they have laws and
institutions similar to ours, which they keep as a last resort, should all
else fail, the way a wise man packs a first-aid kit before he goes camping.
But our society is like a man who is in constant ill health, constantly in
the hospital emergency room. To us, the medicine we need to prevent the body
politic from dissolving into anarchy is something we must endure every hour
of every day. A healthy society, such as only might exist in a future whose
moral standard is higher than our own, such distempers would be rare. Men
might be wise enough to be glad to avoid even the appearance of pirating
another man's ideas, rather than trying to edge as close to the minimum
limit as the law allows. Since they life forever, and will never escape each
other's censure, never forget a wrong, it would behoove them to settle all
difference privately, and before they become inflamed.

Thank you Rafal for posting this exchange.  In addition to the insightful
comments on intellectual property, I'm encouraged to find another thoughful
voice in support of the idea that a more advanced society would naturally
tend to be more moral.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net/arrow_of_morality