[extropy-chat] Bush's Schedule for NASA

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 15 14:23:17 UTC 2004

The hardware and software components are the easy part and are do-able.
It is I believe going to be necessary to "space harden" and modify the biology
of the
"Meatballs and wetware we send".  That is where benefits to lifespan or health
extension can be fit into this new space travel adjenda.  As well I am of the
opinion that unless significant strides are made in propulsion technology the
cost of bringing people back from mars makes return trips  not cost effective
and any astronauts will have  to expect at least a 10-20 year tour of duty on
mars.  With that in mind NASA should be prepared to develop payback to the
astronauts in the form of extending their potential lifespans by 2 years for
each year they spend on duty on Mars.

The incentive to come home will have to be the driver  to be behind a mars
based return-home propulsion  technology program.  That will create the
technology as well to explore farther reaches of planetary space.

That is unless these people change their mind 20 years in and decide never to
return home and become permanent colonists with visions of colonizing yet other
planetary bodies.

Under these conditions, I think we back here will benefit from the initial
military expenditures.

The benefits being a well funded life extension and bio-modification program
and nano-fabrication (replicator-like) technology.
Bio-modification will require all the computational power that can be mustered,
so that will fund and justify continuing efforts in keeping Moore's law alive
for some time yet.

Has anyone developed a potential lifespan extension curve and if so can we give
it a name in the same way as we have "Moore's Law".

As a result we will also likely  loose the umbilical cord to earth and concept
of earth as our only home.

Morris