[extropy-chat] Does the Lunar Surface Still Offer Value for Astro Observatories?

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Thu Jan 15 16:48:47 UTC 2004

Amara Graps wrote:

>Does the Lunar Surface Still Offer Value As a Site for Astronomical
>Observatories?
>         :
>Full-text: PDF only

Full-text is at

http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0401/0401274.pdf

Back around 1986, Jill Tarter [*] gave a talk at LLNL.  I asked her
afterwards about the rationale for investing in new Earth-based
observatories given the prospect of lunar basing.  Her position at the time
seemed to be that there was little value in this, as compared to what we
were able to do with Earth-based instruments with inferometry and adaptive
optics.  I wonder what her opinion is now, post-Hubble.

[*]  http://www.seti.org/about_us/leadership/staff/jill_t.html

-- David Lubkin.