[extropy-chat] LUDDITES: No GloFish for the U.S.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 22:30:10 UTC 2004

Ah, well, it is therefore evident that US riverine ecosystems are
insufficiently 'diverse'. Since diversity is the highest ethic of
ecopaths, to the point of preferring luddocide of human populations to
reductions in 'diversity', I propose that to short circuit their little
plan, we need to help increase the diversity of zebrafish.

If the populations of zebrafish in Florida rivers are not 'breeding
populations', there must not be enough of them...

--- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> Well this has just gone over the top...
>
> The Center for Food Safety has just filed a lawsuit to halt
> all sales of GloFish until the *FDA* regulates and approves
> their sale.
>
> Gee -- when I was a child I grew zebrafish and never thought
> once about cooking them and eating them (they are rather
> small).  Now I know there are countries where people do
> consume animals that are considered pets in other countries
> but in the U.S. this generally isn't the case.
>
> The CfFS seems to be a general luddite organization oriented
> towards blocking the production and/or sale of any GE
> organisms.  Now, I can understand the rationale behind
> not wanting GE fish to contaminate the wild fish -- but that
> seems unlikely to happen with zebrafish in U.S. waters.
>
> The native habitat for zebrafish is the Ganges river in India
> and other nearby rivers.  Though some have been found in
> tropical rivers in Florida, they are not considered to be
> breeding populations:
>   http://nis.gsmfc.org/nis_factsheet.php?toc_id=169
>
> The /. article pointing this out:
>   http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/16/1619202
> Background:
>   http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/22/175233
>
> CfFS:
>   http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/
> There letter about GloFish:
>   http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/inthenews/PRGloFish1-14-04.pdf
> All the GE fish they are against...:
>   http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/gefish/
>
> Hmmm... I wonder if at the next WTA meeting (which I believe
> is in Toronto) a number of anti-Luddites shouldn't stage a
> press conference where we dump an aquarium full of GloFish
> into Lake Ontario?
>
> Robert

=====
Mike Lorrey