[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Bush's 2020 Vision of Space

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 03:03:36 UTC 2004

> Terry W. Colvin...
>
> I hear physicist-philosopher-publicist Paul Davies is
> advocating one way trips, an idea I have advocated and no doubt others
have too. We are
> all going to die anyway. No point hauling those ugly bags of mostly
water all
> the way back to Earth...

Ja, this is a conclusion that any weights engineer will
come to.  When I began looking at the Mars problem nearly
20 yrs ago I concluded that the way to do it is to make
it a one way trip.

> Yup, that is the future - pregnant midget females from high
> altitudes...

They wouldn't need to be pregnant when they left.  They
would carry a number of frozen embryos in a lead-lined
dewar, just in case things go better than I expect they
will.  If they survive, it could very well be that these
ladies will be the only two flesh-bags that would ever need
to cross the vast interplanetary sea.  They could become
the mothers of a new race: it all started with Eve and Eve.
They have an awesome challenge ahead of them.