EDU: Public Schools (Was: Re: [extropy-chat] Game theory of common cold)

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 17:20:08 UTC 2004

>Others pay -- including
>those who don't have children and those whose children are either past
>school age or who do not use public schools -- for schools as well, so
>this lowers the costs of parenting when the parents use public schools.

Let's not forget that even those who have no children were once children
themselves and most likely benefited from the school system.

Also, it is important to realize the benefit of having an "educated"
populations (I use the word educated VERY loosely here). It is a shame that
more parents simply don't get even slightly involved in their children's
education. The resource is there, paid for by everyone, and yet many parents
just don't seem to give a damn! Most of them are like this because of how
their parents were. It's a vicious cycle of stupidity!

Sorry for the slight venting. This touches rather close to home. My children
go to a public school. They are from a previous marriage and she had
custody. They are 8 and 7 yr old girls. Their mother is a meth dealer and
could hardly pay attention. The girls were getting D's and F's in science
and math (N's for the yoiunger girl). They went to schools in crappy clothes
with holes in them even though I paid $207 per WEEK in child support!

She was finally busted for Meth in November with the kids in the house. I
finally received custody of the girls. They were such a mess! Now they have
never been happier. Their counselor called me the other day and informed me
that if they just keep doing what they have been doing since they moved
here, they will get A's in every subject! All they needed was a little
homework help, and some concern for their education. I think the real
difference is that I care. Nothing more. Mom didn't care, so why should
they? They prefer living here and Dad cares about their education, so they
do too!

(On a side note, can you believe that they have this whole screwed up idea
that Santa Clause and God are real? How can someone teach religion to
children and be such a stupid meth-head trashy mother at the same time? SO
now I have my chance to raise nice atheist educated girls and turn them
loose on the world. The two messages I have to teach them are "You can be an
atheist and be a good person too." and "Don't grow up to be one of the
stupid people" )

Anyways, I really don;t think our educational system is all that bad. Yes,
it could be better, but it can only be as good as the people that are in it.
I don't know the number, but I would assume that hundreds of thousands are
involved in the educational system from the administrative level down. The
odds are that a portion of these people are idiots.( There must be a lot of
idiots in the public school system.) This would be offset if parents simply
gave a shit about their kids.

Kevin Freels