[extropy-chat] RE: Atkins Diet Change

Tue Jan 20 07:48:15 UTC 2004

Benjamin James Bush [mailto:nebson9 at warpmail.net] wrote,
> Actually, that news report is incorrect. It is
> misinformation. Atkins acknowleges no such thing!
>
> "Saturated fat remains a valuable part of the ANA. There is
> absolutely no scientific research to support any claims that
> eating red meat and saturated fat as part of your Atkins
> program is anything other then beneficial."
>
> Please read the Atkins press release "Atkins Has Not Changed" here:
> <http://atkins.com/about/recentnews/AtkinsHasNotChanged.html>

OK.  Maybe the New York Times, CNN and Reuters got it wrong.  This is
interesting.

However, as I read the above report, they don't seem to deny that Atkins
dieters need to curtail fat intake or red meat intake.  This article seems
more like "spin" to me.  They seem to be trying to back into the lower-fat,
lower-red-meat diet without admitting it is a change.  They claim that
Atkins always warned not to eat too much fat, not to eat too much red meat,
to use other forms of protein like chicken, fish, even tofu!, and evolving
toward leafy greens and complex carbohydrates.

Does this sound like the traditional Atkins diet?  In other words, they
don't dispute the lower-fat lower-red-meat recommendations at all.  They are
claiming that this isn't a "change" in Atkins.  They even explain how the
Atkins book had been rewritten three times in the beginning and how it
always adapted to new scientific data, and how none of this evolution counts
as a "change" in the diet!

Any long-term Atkins dieters on this list?  Have you eaten tofu and leafy
greens as part of your Atkins diet?  Do you remember being taught to not eat
too much fat or too much red meat?  Did you have the impression that
saturated fat wasn't bad for you or that you could eat all the steak you
wanted and still lose weight?  (Maybe I just never met anybody who got
beyond the first phase.)

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,