[extropy-chat] Charity/was Re: EDU: Public Schools

Paul Grant paulgrant999 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:36:03 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Emlyn
O'regan
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 8:08 PM
To: 'ExI chat list'
Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Charity/was Re: EDU: Public Schools

Harvey wrote (in response to Dan):
> Your (and others') rants seem to have more to do with some
> anti-charity
> libertarian worldview than anything I have actually done or said.
>
> I'm sorry that I wasted even this much time on this thread.

This I find weird too; doesn't Libertarianism usually rely on private
charity to replace centralised social welfare? I may have my wires
crossed on this, feel free to correct me :-) .

---

Its not centralized charity thats the problem;
its centralized mandatory welfare that sucks.
Particularly when u have no say in how said funds
are used, and no ability to withhold payment legally
on either grounds ofs ROI (return on investment), or
embezzlement.  I think you would find that most
libertarians are concerned more about "LIBERTY" than
welfare.  Its only an issue because so many other people
think that to live in a society, you must also be taxed
in order to "redistribute" the wealth.

I'll give you a classic example of where the current welfare system
has gone awry; not to be stereotypical/prejudicial or whatever
(YES I KNOW THERE LOTS WHITE PEOPLE on welfare), some middle-class
blacks are pissed at whats happening to inner-city blacks.
Too many blacks go on welfare and stay on welfare, even
from a cross-generational viewpoint.  They feel that welfare
as its currently implemented is sucking the vitality out of
their communities; they would rather see blacks helped via a
community-building process.  I tend to think they're right.

If I was forced to donate cash (in the form of taxes), I'ld
very much rather have *where* my tax dollars go be my choice.
At least then I could say, hey, put my money to work creating
jobs for people who want to work, but for whatever reason (and
yes, this includes crappy backgrounds, racism etc) can't get
work.  *That* (at least) I could live with.

As it is right now, as far as I'm concerned, you may as well be
burning my tax money (with all the attendant horrors that image
inspires).  When I go to my mechanic, I get an itemized list of
parts and labor.  Why should it be any different with government?

Incidentally; the primary motivation for said dislike stems
primarily from the mismanagement any large amount of cash
pooling in government coffers tends to elicit.  That is also
why libertarians don't care for social security (as its currently
implemented).  Its not a desire to see your neighbors paupered
and dying off in the hundreds as a result of running out of money.
Its a desire to see the resources currently being misspent put
to much better use; particularly if you have the right to withhold
said funds if the results of the party using said funds SUCK.
Same goes for school taxation; if I don't have kids in school (or
homeschool [which I CERTAINLY intend to do with my children,
misanthropy aside]), why should I pay money into a failing
educational system.  I mean really, gangs and money launderers
are less greedy when it comes to extortion rackets.

omard-out